Sunday, February 19, 2012

Black-Bottom Cupcakes

Black-Bottom Cupcakes

Valentine's Day was on Tuesday. With two midterms, two tours, and an overwhelming amount of things to think about, I was stressed. Yet, I was also adamant to make these delicious chocolate-cream-cheesey treasures.



Luckily, this recipe calls for exactly twelve cupcakes, and instead of having to adorn each cupcake with frosting after they bake, the frosting bakes with the cupcakes!

Now, call me crazy, but I am not a big fan of frosting. Which is why, I absolutely love black-bottom cupcakes, since you are required to bake the frosting, while baking the cupcake simultaneously.




This being said, I had quite a handful of issues while baking these. Somehow, our refrigerator got bumped up to freezer mood, and therefore all of our eggs were frozen solid (imagine cracking an egg and the yolk and white being a solid mass), leaving me to let the frozen egg thaw out and slightly microwave it (that was interesting). In addition, my cream-cheese frosting didn't seep into the cupcake, as it should have (see Smitten Kitchen's beautiful photos). I think it was because the consistency of my frosting was slightly on the liquid end of the spectrum. My guess is because my egg was a tad watery, due to its frozen state.

This all being said, these were a big hit on Valentine's Day, and their few days to come, in which they survived.

Black-Bottom Cupcakes
Recipe courtesy of Smitten Kitchen

Yields: 12 regular sized cupcakes

Ingredients:

For the frosting:
1 8 ounce-cream cheese, regular or reduced fat
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 ounces of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (or chips!)

For the cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
5 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa power (not Dutch-process)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup unflavored vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white or cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Steps:

Make the filling:
1. Beat together cream cheese, granulated sugar and egg until smooth.
2. Stir in the chocolate chip pieces, and set aside,

Make the cupcakes:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Butter 12-cup muffin tin, or place foil or muffin cups in the tin.
3. In a medium bowl, sift the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the water, oil and vanilla.
5. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Stir in the wet ingredients until just smooth. Don't stir this for too long, because you want your cupcakes to be tender!
6. Divide the batter amongst the muffin tins, and spoon a couple tablespoons of filling into the center of each muffin as well, distribute evenly.
7. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops are slightly golden, or the cupcake feels springy to the touch. 
8. Store in air-tight container for 2-3 days. 

What I did Differently:
1. My egg was not at room temperature, and after my freezer incident I highly suggest you make sure your egg is!
2. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips in my frosting.
3. I only had dark brown sugar (works just the same in my opinion).
4. I only sifted the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. I only have a "strainer-like-thing" as my sifter, and therefore the brown sugar was a tad too tedious for me to attempt.
5. I baked these for maybe 25-30 minutes, definitely keep an eye out for when the tops turn slightly brown around the edges!

*Tip:  I was really disappointed that my frosting didn't come out the way I wanted it too. Although these treats tasted delicious, I think the watery egg definitely loosened up my frosting. Next time, to reassure that the frosting will really seep into my cupcake, I am going to make a divot in the chocolate cupcake batter an spoon the frosting in that way!