Friday, November 25, 2011

Let Me Begin...

Chocolate Peanut-Butter Filled Cookies

My name is Adrienne. I am a current college student, avid baker and photographer. Under the influence of my closest friends, I have decided to start my own blog: One More Cup.

I have grown up with a family of bakers, wonderful individuals who do not believe in using boxed mixes, and simply advocating the fact that everything tastes better when made from scratch. Simply, I too took an interest in my family's hobby.



This year, it became a weekly habit to bake for my wonderful roommates and friends at school. Soon, it became expected. I then considered how useful it would be to document all the different goodies I have made. I always find it frustrating that not all recipes include pictures, and therefore instead of solely saving pieces of paper with recipes, I decided to start documenting my baked goods in photo form too. Not only do my version of baked goods have a special young touch, but it will demonstrate how a college student on a tight budget manages to make some yummy goodies. Enjoy!


Chocolate Peanut-Butter Filled Cookies
Originally called "Magic in the Middles

Chocolate Dough
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder*
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for coating
1/2 cup brown sugar
8 Tablespoons unsalted butter*
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg*
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips*

Peanut-Butter Filling
3/4 cup peanut butter, smooth or crunchy
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar

Steps

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.

For The Dough
1.In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking salt, and espresso powder; stir together and set aside 

2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or using a hand-held mixer cream together the butter, sugars, and peanut butter until light and fluffy (I melted the butter for 40 seconds in the microwave, rather than letting it thaw).

3. Make sure to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula, then add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.

4. With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.

5. Fold in the chocolate chips.

For the Filling
1. In a medium bowl, stir together the peanut butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. With floured hands or a teaspoon scoop, roll the filling into 26 one-inch balls.

To Prep and Bake the Cookies
1. Scoop the chocolate dough into 26 tablespoon portions. Make an indentation in the center of the dough with your thumb, and place a peanut butter ball in the indentation. Wrap the chocolate cookie dough up and over the peanut-butter filling, covering the filling as much as possible. Roll the cookie in the palm of your hands to smooth it out. Repeat.
2. Place extra sugar in a small bowl. Roll each cookie in the sugar, and then place on the prepared baking sheet. Make sure to space them at least 2 inches apart. Using the bottom of a drinking glass, flatten each cookie to be about 1/2 inch thick.
3. Bake for 7-9 minutes, until they have smet (and you smell chocolate!).
4. Remove from the oven, and transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. 

*What I did differently:
For the Dough:
1. I used coffee grounds instead of espresso powder. They were hazelnut grounds and the cookies tasted great.
2. I did not have time to let the butter thaw, therefore I microwaved it for 40 seconds before mixing it in. If you do this, make sure that you really get all of the chunks of butter combined in the dough.
3. My roommates and I buy a 5 dozen egg carton, therefore my egg was not large, however it seemed to work just fine.
4. I used regular size semi-sweet chocolate chips! The bigger the better!

For the Filling:
1. I definitely neglected this step, of rolling the peanut-butter into balls ahead of time. Instead, I took about a teaspoon scoop, and wrap my chocolate dough around it as I was baking. Also, I think next time I bake these cookies I am going to use only 1/2 the amount of peanut butter, and 1/2 the amount of confectioners' sugar. I had too much filling left over, and my friends said the cookies had plenty of peanut butter in them. 

To Prep and Bake Cookies
1. I forgot to press half of the cookies with a water glass. Honestly, I don't think it matters. Also, if you have a weird oven like mine, my cookies took a couple extra minutes to bake (I think I made mine thick). 

Source: Adapted from The Gallery Gourmet, from the original recipe King Arthur Flour