Sunday, April 22, 2012

Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie

Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie

A few months ago, my best friend posted a link to Picky Palate's blog on my Facebook wall, which featured this chocolate chip cookie stuffed with an Oreo. Originally, I had set the idea aside thinking this was kind of a weird concept, and not very "creative." 


Well, to go back on my word, I obviously made these monsterous two in one cookies. This cookie recipe has been flooding the foodgawker, pinterest, and food blogging world. I finally caved last week and decided, that I too, needed to follow the trend. 




Let's just say, I'm glad I did. These cookies are gigantic. The chocolate chip cookie dough bakes perfectly. It's nice and crisp on the outside, yet slightly chewy on the inside. When you take the first bite you think all you have is a basic chocolate chip cookie, and then your bite suddenly hits something more crisp, filled with cream, and then you realize you have a mouthful of both a chocolate chip cookie and an oreo; the combination is wonderful.

Monstrous Bites are Required

I made my cookies HUGE. This recipe is supposed to yield at least two dozen, and I only managed to get one dozen out of this recipe. I was struggling to cover the entire (double-stuffed) oreo with the chocolate chip cookie dough, so every time I went to wrap the oreo I kept adding the cookie dough until I thought it was perfectly enclosed. 

Obviously, according to Picky Palate, you can get 24 cookies, versus my 12, you just have to be a little less generous with how you disperse your dough. In addition, I wish I had put less cookie dough, because the Oreo does get lost in a few bites, since there is a lot of dough surrounding it. Also, in some of the photos above my cookies look a bit underdone, but once they cooled down the dough definitely settles. I recommend making these cookies. They are very basic, and they definitely aren't healthy, but everyone will definitely want one! Enjoy!

Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Picky Palate


Yields: 12-24 Very Large Cookies

Ingredients:
2 sticks softened butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
10 oz bag chocolate chips
1 bag Oreo cookies, double stuffed

Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a stand or a electric mixer cream butter and sugars until well combined.
3. Add eggs and vanilla until well combined.
4. In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt and baking soda.
5. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, and combine.
6. Stir in chocolate chips.
7. Using a cookie scoop, or a spoon, take one scoop of cookie dough and place on top of an Oreo Cookie. Take another scoop of dough and place on bottom of Oreo Cookie. Seal edges together by pressing and cupping in hand until Oreo is enclosed with dough.
8. Place parchment paper on two baking sheets, then place cookies onto the sheets.
9. Bake for 9-13 minutes or until cookies are baked to your liking.
10. let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Enjoy!

What I Did Differently:
1. I used 1 stick unsalted and 1 stick regular butter.
2. I used 2 cups all purpose flour, and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat white flour.
3. I definitely used less chocolate chips, maybe half a bag at the most of semisweet chocolate chips.
4. I used double stuff oreos, but only 12 (might as well go all out!).
5. I don't own a cookie scoop, so I just used a spoon to scoop out dough (maybe that's why mine was large).
6. I definitely had to bake mine for at least 15-17 minutes!

*Tip, you can substitute the chocolate chip cookie dough for your personal favorite dough, or you can even use pre-made (gasp!) cookie dough. I've seen other bloggers even use peanut butter cookie dough...there are lots of options!